Friday, September 28, 2007

Papas Fritas - S/T (1995)

What was it with white 90's rock bands and Spanish names? In what was perhaps a movement of solidarity with New Jersey indie gods Yo La Tengo (I have her or It), this Boston band decided to name themselves after fried potatoes. Interesting choice. In fact, they share a similar boy/girl twee sensibility with the Welsh threesome from my previous post (see Young Marble Giants below). This is really an enjoyable, lesser-known mid 90's slice of indie pop. A few crunchy guitars here, some upbeat vibes there. It's not important and it's not life changing, but it's fun. Which is more than you can say for a lot of the bummed out, aimless, downer bands of their time.






4 comments:

The Meat Beetles said...

Thank you for linking to us. We will reciprocate very soon.
Peace--The Sloptops

agonynine said...

Thanks for the great post, I was always curious to hear this.

If I remember correctly, the NME said that Papas Fritas were actually named due to the resemblance to the phrase Pop Has Freed Us. Whether that's true or not is a different matter..... :-)

The Ghost of Jerry Reed said...

Wow, thanks for the share. I saw these guys at TT the Bear's in Boston, around 96. I taped the show on a handheld voice recorder I used for lectures and classes. The sound quality ended up resembling a Merzbow record, but you can still make out the strains of "Lame To Be" underneath all the noise and static. Funny group as the bassist and guitarust were seven tall and the drummer was shorter than a hobbit

Francisco said...

I remember when "Hey Hey You Say" aired on 120 minutes back in the day. I liked that song

(found your blog randomly while looking for Free Design info, good stuff. I'm a fellow Williamsburgian as well)